Friday, June 12, 2009

A Little Corner of the World

Today was a big day.  Sheet-changing day, which occurs when I feel like it's been about two weeks (which means it's probably been at least three).   Lee and Clara are now in a bunk bed of sorts, with Lee on the top and Clara down below.  Lee has her bed arranged just so, with stuffed animals, Polly Pockets, jewelry, and any other number of miscellaneous odds and ends that she carries up to bed with her.  

So, it's pretty distressing when I announce I'm about to rip off the sheets.  "No, mommy, no!"  But, in the name of good hygeine, off come the sheets and everything in her bed ends up in a pile on the floor.  

I never get around to putting the sheets back on until right before bedtime, and then there's a 20 or 30 minute process of re-assembling the bed just so.  She remembers exactly where everything goes, although over the course of several days things do shift around a bit, and there are always additions, although rarely subtractions.  

It's one of those things that while it might drive me a bit crazy, I completely understand.  I remember being a kid and loving my own space, the one place where I had some control of my surroundings.  I still remember vididly the arrangement of my bedroom when I was in middle school.  In The 19th Wife the boy is one of probably 100 kids in this polygamous family, and he talks about having a single dresser drawer that is his own.  Everyone needs their own little corner of the world, I guess.  

 

No comments: