Sunday, May 4, 2008

Living My Own Life

We had dinner at some friends' last night, and there was another couple there whom we don't know all that well. He works long hours, and his wife is an internist who works four days a week but is often on call, so in reality she has a full-time job as well. Their two boys are 2-1/2 and just a year.

He was talking about how busy they are, and their work/family balance. They pay a nanny to be with their kids while they work. They also pay someone to clean their house. They often eat out or get take-out, and so someone else is cooking their food. He's very handy and loves to work around the house, but since that would be time taken away from the kids he now pays a handyman to do those things as well. "It's as if I'm paying someone else to live my life!" he said.

I left dinner feeling a bit boring because everyone else had a career and I don't, but also grateful that I'm actually living my own life.

No comments: