Wednesday, July 2, 2008

June Recap

Wow, I didn't post much in June. Here are some June highlights (not necessarily in chronological order):
  • Clara walking around saying "happy, happy, happy..." Really. She is a different kid since her surgery. I could go into a lot of description but that about sums it up.
  • Over six inches of rain during the month. Not from soaking spring rains, but from one violent thunderstorm after another that felt apocalyptic to me (but to Bridges felt like, well, thunderstorms). This was actually great because we haven't had to do any watering of our new plantings the entire month. However the weeds love it too, and there's so much humidity rising off the ground it feels like we're living in a rain forest.
  • After-dinner weeding parties where Lee monitors how many M&M's each of is has earned and compliment us on "doing good work."
  • More water in the basement (see six inches of rain above).
  • Lots of trouble with with Lee's sleeping. I'll post separately on this.
  • The start of the season at Lindentree Farm. It was a wonderful strawberry season.
  • A weekend in New Castle which involved getting a load of plants from my mother-in-law's garden, a breakfast out with just the two of us, lots of strawberry picking, and some nice relaxing walks on the river.
  • A few initial trips to The Res and the town pool. I'll have to do separate posts about these mainstays of our summer.
  • The beginning of our membership in Chestnut Hills Farm, a meat CSA. Yummy!
  • The re-test of my thyroid (which was extremely low last fall). It came back normal, which I attribute partially to my commitment to regular Bikram yoga.
  • A quiet weekend at the lake where we got out for a beautiful (if a bit drizzly) early morning paddle over to Steamboat Island.
  • The rodent wars. The tally at the end of the month was 7 chipmunks, 3 mice, 2 voles, and 1 squirrel. Yet we fear they are winning.
  • Concern over the knocking down of houses in our neighborhood. They've knocked down fives houses in our immediate neighborhood in the past year. The houses that go up are 5000+ sq ft. Who needs all that space?!?

3 comments:

LeesMyth said...

It's good to live life instead of writing about it.

I'm just trying to imagine Clara walking around and saying "happy, happy, happy" - she seems too young to even understand the concept, but I'm so glad she's happy!!!

I love strong t-storms. We've had two so far this summer, and I was caught in one of them - got 100% drenched.

Weeding parties at which Lee gets to be the judge of who has earned how many M&Ms? I think she needs to master the "worker" role before she gets to play "management"!!!

Speaking as someone who rattles around in a massive 900 sq ft apartment (you did get to see my guest wing when you visited, right?), I can understand how a family of five would need 1000 sq ft per person ... if they didn't share any common areas. :-)

Your summer sounds lovely so far.

Bridges said...

Indeed, it is good to live life.

I would cast Lee as a "worker/manager". During the weeding parties (and other times, too) she'll say "I have to go do my work now" and "I'm very busy doing my work". Her definition of work sometimes matches ours and other times might be cast as playing, but is active in either case.

Good times!

LeesMyth said...

Worker/manager? Gotta love it.