Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Moon

I've been watching the moon over the lake for several nights in a row. It's moving toward a full moon tomorrow night. It's beautiful, and since Lee was up last night pretty late I brought her out to look at it. I promised her that tomorrow night we can all stay up late and lie on the dock to watch the moon before they go to bed.

I like knowing where the moon is in its cycle. It somehow makes me feel more connected to nature. It's a similar sort of satisfaction I get from knowing when things are in season. I'm much more aware of the timing of fruits and vegetables since going to Lindentree the last five years.

It reminds me how amazed I was last month when I was regularly going to the Y at 5:30 am and seeing so many sprinkler systems running full blast despite all the rain we were getting. I'm sure the people asleep in their beds have no idea that they're even watering their lawn. Isn't that odd? How disconnected we are from our own environment?

I guess that's why I've never liked living in air conditioning. I dislike being hot, and I really dislike humidity, but there's just something so synthetic about an air conditioned environment.

I just finished reading Rowing to Latitude (thanks, Lee!) and it has me thinking about this sort of thing.

But back to the moon. Early next week the moon won't rise until about 10:30 pm or so, which is great, because the Perseids are arriving on Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm hoping for good weather. The kids will stay up late and we'll hang out down on the dock after sunset and (hopefully) count some shooting stars.

1 comment:

Lee said...

How were the perseids? I tried to get KJ to watch them for me, but he forgot by the time he got home.