Thursday, August 20, 2009

No, Not the Crunchy Kind!

Clara loves peanut butter. One day several months ago I asked her if she wanted creamy or crunchy (she'd previously only had creamy). She chose crunchy, even after I showed her what it looked like. When she decided she didn't like crunchy, I obligingly scraped it off and gave her creamy instead.

Well, this must have been very traumatic for her, because to this day she insists on creamy peanut butter when I offer her peanut butter. "Mommy, I like creamy peanut butter. I don't like crunchy peanut butter" (repeat five times). As if I would attempt to give her crunchy again after she's reminded me three times a day (she eats a lot of peanut butter).

The other day I was being bombarded with whining and fighting and I was probably hungry myself, and when Clara started in on "I want CREAMY peanut butter." I just about bit her head off. "Clara, we don't even HAVE crunchy peanut butter up here. Just quit it about the crunchy peanut butter!"

Poor girl ended up in a puddle of tears on the floor and of course I felt horrible because I screamed at her over peanut butter. But some little bit of me was hoping that she would never ever pester me about it again.

So I had to smile the next day when I asked her if she wanted peanut butter on her toast and she said "Creamy peanut butter, mommy. I like CREAMY."

The memory of an elephant, that one.

1 comment:

Lee said...

That's hilarious, thanks for sharing.